“Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life” – Michael Palin
You might have heard about an epidemic that is sweeping the globe called the travel bug. Once caught, the bug is known to spread quickly, turning the carrier into a travel hungry nomad. Are you infected?
Travel Bug: Causes
The bite of a travel bug is often very difficult to prevent and can occur anytime during a person’s life.
Some experts argue that the bug is triggered by an event or something in the environmental. Other experts argue that the virus is something that people are born with. Symptoms can appear early in life or may lay dormant for many years before being triggered later in life.
Often, the travel bug is contagious. Spread from direct or indirect contact with an infected person, the bug can easily jump from one person to another. Overexposure to Pintrest travel boards and Instagram travel accounts have also resulted in a large number of casualties.
Do You Have the Travel Bug?
Many of the infected population must live with the bug for the rest of their lives. Below you can find a list of symptoms commonly associated with the virus. If you display more than one of these, there is a high probability that you have already been infected.
Travel Bug: Symptoms
1. After staying in the same place for extended periods of time you experience increasing feelings of uneasiness, anxiety, and restlessness.
2. Your passport is among your most valuable possessions and the thought of a life without it is unbearable.
3. As one trip ends the desire to plan another trip overwhelms you. You enjoy the moment but are always wondering where to next?
4. Throughout the day you constantly catch yourself looking at travel pictures and reading travel blogs – you just can’t get enough.
5. Pictures of places you can’t wait to explore cover your home and office walls.
6. You have at least one map of the world in your room and one travel guide on your bookshelf.
7. You find yourself constantly daydreaming about your next trip.
8. You’re always saving up for your next trip, counting down the time and the dollars until your next travel fix.
9. You spend more time away from home than at home. Coming home is like a vacation from traveling instead of the other way around.
10. You work to travel. Travel isn’t a break from work, work is a break from travel.
11. You have a many currencies from around the world in your room.
12. You can recite the airplane before takeoff safety speech off by heart.
13. You can say hello in 6 different languages.
14. Books make you want to travel. Movies make you want to travel. Music makes you want to travel. Waking up in the morning makes you want to travel.
15. You have no idea where in the world you will be next year, or in the next month, and you’re completely okay with that.
Travel Bug: The Cure
Once infected, travel will become an addiction and an obsession in your life. It will probably be something that is with you for the rest of your life and that you will deal with on a daily basis.
In the later stages of this infection, you will find yourself chain travelling (similar to chain-smoking except instead of one cigarette after the other it’s one trip after the other).
Warning: It only takes one trip to become addicted.
Want to travel but can’t? How to satisfy your wanderlust when you’re not traveling.
The good news is that you are not alone. Thousands of people all over the world are just like you. Many support groups exist where you can talk to others from around the world that have caught the travel bug.
Are you infected with the travel bug? I know I am!